- Enjoy 6.5 miles of wooded, flat hiking trails, suitable for all levels
- Go boating or fish the waters of Port Townsend Bay
- Kayak or canoe along the shore for a great view of seabirds
- Explore the old fort and other historic buildings
What can I see and do at Fort Townsend State Park?
- Camping: There are 40 campsites at Fort Townsend that can be reserved up to 12 months in advance. There are also 4 primitive campsites that are occupied on a first come basis. Camping is available all year long.
- Hiking: This park boasts 6.5 miles of wooded hiking trails. As the land is basically flat, the trails aren’t very difficult to traverse. You’ll also find a self-guided nature trail as well as another easily accessed trail that highlights historic information about the park.
- Bicycling: Bikes are permitted on some of the park trails. Check with the ranger’s office for specific information.
- Boating/Fishing: It’s possible to go boating on the waters of Port Townsend Bay though the nearest boat ramps are at Port Townsend and Fort Flagler and not in this particular park. However, mooring is available at Fort Townsend State Park. Enjoy a little saltwater fishing or crabbing while you’re there.
- Canoeing/Kayaking: The calm waters of Port Townsend Bay are an excellent choice for canoers and kayakers. Stay along the shore to view a variety of seabirds.
- Sightseeing: The state park covers about one-third of the old fort and you’ll see that there are still a number of historic buildings remaining. You can travel along the interpretive trail on your own, or if you’re there on Saturdays, join in on a guided ranger walk, conducted by request.
Where is Fort Townsend State Park?
From Port Angeles, travel east on Highway 101 to WA-20. Make a right and follow that road to just south of the city center of Port Townsend. Turn right on Old Fort Townsend Road and drive a half-mile to the park.
How much does Fort Townsend State Park cost?
It doesn’t cost anything to visit this state park.
Who can I call if I have more questions?
For more information on Fort Townsend State Park, call 360-902-8844.